Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Thing’s

I guess I should say a little on the Thing. I mentioned it in my last blog. Blog, what a funny word. Mother said we should stay open to new experiences, and this is certainly that.

The Thing’s are half-human/half-animal. they are the creation of our ancestor’s. when our ancestor’s were young, they discovered their close affinity with magic. in fact, that is what we were, so close in spirit to the gods, yet we had come to Earth to live…we were all but magic. or at leas the ancestors were.

they wanted to create some creatures to do the more…menial tasks. they didn’t want to do the hard labor. they wanted to concentrate on the spirit. not the crops. not the hauling of food. not the plowing of the earth. not the building of the homes. I am sure you see where I am going with this.

So they used their fledgling magic and altered the natural animals to become man-shaped. They had intended the animals to become fully man, yet retain the strength of the animals. only it didn’t work out that way. These creatures were a cross-bred. not fully human, not fully animal. something…different.

The ancestors were horrified by them. They were disgusted and they reviled them. and as such my people, the descendants of the ancestors, treat these creatures…as we call the, Things, as less. Because in our eyes, they are not animals, they are not human, they are objects. they are things. they are less. At least, to others they are. I have no other word for them, so I refer to them as Things as well, but, I think they are more than what we give them credit for.

Some, including my mother, think that they will return to their animal forms one of these days. But I believe that they will be able to fully shift between the two forms, the form of animal and human. that they will one day be full shape-shifters and be the more powerful for it. And one day, perhaps even be revered as shamans.

At least, that is a vision that I had. I have not told mother this. I don’t know that she would believe me…

~Allorana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Allorana and her Mother, Shashanna, are characters out a free eSerial called Mu mysteries written by Cherry Dumas (www.enchantmentofthemind.com , www.cherrydumas@blogspot.com , www.twitter.com/cherrydumas , www.facebook.com/cherry.dumas